5 Best Exercises to Get Ripped Abs
Having a ripped six-pack is the holy grail of many gym-goers. While having a six-pack is not the most important part of a healthy lifestyle, it certainly can give you a boost of confidence and motivation. Ok we've used a title for this article which you would not normally associate with a physiotheapy group, but we do have a lot of experience with some of the World's top weightlifters and power lifters. We wanted to share our opinion on getting ripped.
Yes, it is possible to get ripped abs. It will require a combination of diet and exercise. You will need to make sure you are eating a healthy diet that is low in fat and calories and high in lean proteins and complex carbohydrates. You will also need to engage in regular exercise that includes both cardiovascular activity and strength training. Is it easy? No absolutely not, it’s very tough but rewarding!
The biggest issue is that consuming too many calories, especially those high in fat, sugar and refined carbohydrates, can lead to weight gain and an increase in belly fat. Additionally, lack of physical activity, poor sleep and stress can all contribute to an increase in stomach fat.
Ultimately, to get ripped, you need to lose fat! That means reducing what you eat (a period like this is known by body builders as shredding), and doing strength-based exercises for your abdomen. The more fat you lose, the more abdominal muscle definition you will achieve. The stomach area is a natural pouch where fat accumulates. Losing this fat will be a key part to getting the definition needed.
At Surrey Physio we see a lot of performance athletes, ranging from Britain’s top sprinters, to top skiers, to rank 1 weight lifters, to numerous Olympic Athletes that we have worked with. We know what it takes to get ripped! If you need advice, just book a consultation with one of our senior physiotherapists.
Top 5 Exercises to Get Ripped!
1. Plank: This is an absolute must for anyone looking to get shredded abs. Planks are one of the most effective core exercises, as they target all of the muscles in your core, including your abs. Planks also help to improve your posture, balance, and stability. Rest on your forearms and your toes. Hold this position. Keep good straight posture, and do not let your back arch too much. This is a core strengthening exercise. Hold the position for 30-60 seconds and repeat for 3 sets.
2. Sit Up Crunches: Crunches are one of the most popular exercises for targeting the abs. They are effective for strengthening the core muscles and burning fat. To perform a crunch, lie on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Place your hands behind your head and lift your shoulders off the floor, crunching your abs. Return to the starting position and repeat for 3 sets of 15-20 reps.
3. Press Up. The press up, or push up, is one of the ultimate strengthening exercises. Position yourself in a press-up position, with your arms straight. Keep your body in a straight line, with your bottom tucked under and your back flat. Drop your chest towards the floor by bending the elbows. Return to the start position. This is a chest, core, back and shoulder strengthening exercise. Repeat for 3 sets of 15-20 reps.
4. Mountain Climbers: This exercise is great for targeting the entire core, including the abs. To perform a mountain climber, start in a press-up position, and bring one leg in so your left knee is close to your left hand. Straight away, take it back out and then bring your right knee in towards your right hand, and repeat. This exercise is great for strength-endurance and works the whole body. Continue alternating legs for 3 sets of 15-20 reps.
5. Leg Lift: Lift both legs off the floor a few inches, and hold the legs in this position. Slowly lower your legs to the floor. It's a great exercise for the lower abdominal muscles, and you will also feel the hip flexor muscles (near to the groin) working too. Continue alternating legs and arms for 3 sets of 15-20 reps.
These are the 5 best exercises to get ripped abs. Remember, getting shredded abs takes hard work, dedication, and discipline. It’s important to stay consistent and always challenge yourself. With a little bit of effort, you’ll be able to achieve your goals in a few months.
(These videos are provided by Rehab My Patient – the best exercise prescription software for therapists to prescribe exercises www.rehabmypatient.com. If you are a patient needing advice, call Surrey Physio to book a telephone/video consultation with one of our expert physios or osteopaths, or book in face-to-face for an appointment. You can call us on 0208 685 6930 or book online by clicking the link at the top of the page).